There are critical situations in mental development between 1-3 years that require intervention. Psychologist Sinem Olcay Kademoğlu from Istanbul Parenting Class share the curiosity about this.
• Critical situations that require intervention in mental development between the ages of 1-2
It is difficult to measure mental skills in the age of 1-2 years; because most children cannot speak well enough at this age. For example; you don't have much idea how far away he can see objects. But there are some tips you can use to understand what's going on in your child's mind. In this age period, the following are the things that should be considered in terms of mental development:
• It is a problem that your child cannot understand and follow the directions. However, we should not confuse this with the reluctance of referrals. A child who does not understand the directions does not react at all. You will notice that your child, who does not do your command simply because he is reluctant, actually understands the command from his gaze. An average 18-month-old child should be able to pick up the toy and drop it anywhere.
• Your child should be happy and react appropriately when they see you. For example; like wanting to come on your lap with your arms out or smile when you see you. These are signs that she knows and loves you. The lack of emotional response indicates that you need to see a specialist.
• Children aged 1-2 are very interested in learning their surroundings. During this period your child becomes favorite games or objects. There must also be things he doesn't like. Lack of emotion is a serious problem and is often one of the most important signs of autism.
• Critical situations that require intervention in mental development between the ages of 2-3
The period between 2 and 3 years is the period in which children intensively search for information. Your 2-3 year old child is like a sponge and is actively in the learning period. Children between the ages of 2 and 3 who develop normally are eager to learn continuously. However, you should be careful if you observe the following conditions in your child aged 2-3 years:
• If it cannot follow multiple step commands, its development may be problematic. As you approach the age of three, your child should be able to order and implement referrals in a meaningful way.
• Unable to do relatively long-term attention or prefer to do so. (For example, making lego or painting pictures.
• Does not know his / her name or cannot recognize his / her belongings compared to others.
• If there is a general lack of curiosity, not asking questions or not being interested in what you do, it can be an important problem in your child's development.