We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
What is cereal, why is it useful?
The unprocessed, unrefined form of cereals is called whole grain and the processed form is called refined grain. Whole grains; It includes all extracts of grain such as bran, germ, endosperm. Whole wheat flour, bulgur, oatmeal, brown rice are examples of whole grain group. Refined grains, on the other hand, are ground and purified from bran and other parts. These processes, which are made to increase the shelf life and softness of grain, cause the decrease of grain pulp especially iron and B group vitamins.
Whole grains help improve circulation and digestive system in children
Whole grains containing thiamine B1, riboflavin B2, niacin B3 and folate; It is rich in dietary fiber and B group vitamins. Vitamin B1 or Thiamine, together with other B-group vitamins, is a necessary vitamin for the energy production of the body, especially the brain. Vitamin B1 belongs to the group of vitamins necessary for the formation of blood cells and a healthy circulatory system. It also plays an important role in the production of energy from carbohydrates and in maintaining the tone of the muscles of the heart and digestive system. In addition, whole grains are rich in minerals such as iron, magnesium and antioxidant selenium, which are involved in bone development and muscle activities.
Cereals prevent diseases caused by vitamin B1 deficiency
Vitamin B1 deficiency causes maturity, depression, weakness in the eyes, confusion, and impaired physical coordination. Also decreased appetite, digestive disorder, constipation, fatigue, headache, nervous and circulatory system diseases, muscle cramps. For this reason, it is very important to focus on cereals that prevent vitamin B1 deficiency in the nutrition of children.
Whole grains also stabilize glucose levels in diabetic patients and prevent constipation, as they are rich in pulp. Whole grain foods help in weight control by giving more satiety. Thus, obesity can be prevented in children.
How much cereal should be consumed per day?
|Group||Age range||Recommended daily||Amount of whole grain to be consumed daily|
|Child||2-3||85 grams||43 grams|
|4-8||113-140 grams||57-71 grams|
|Young girls||9-13||142 grams||85 grams|
|14-18||170 grams||85 grams|
|Young guys||9-13||170 grams||85 grams|
|14-18||198 grams||100 grams|
What can be done to increase your whole grain consumption?
- Instead of white flour, foods made of whole grain flour should be preferred for children's nutrition.
- Children should consume brown rice and whole wheat pasta. By increasing the flavor of these foods, vegetables and spices can be used to make them more attractive to children.
- Whole grains such as bulgur, wheat and barley should be added to vegetable soups and meals to be fed to children. When preparing sweet snacks such as cakes and cookies, whole wheat or oat flour should be used.
- While making meatballs, whole wheat bread should be put into the ingredients.
- Full grain cereal should be used in dishes such as chicken, fish and chops cooked in the oven.
- Instead of toast in salads and soups, crackers of whole grain flour should be preferred.
- Popcorn containing whole grain can be prepared for snacks. But be careful not to put too much salt and oil.
- Flax seed is the richest vegetable nutrient from omega 3 fatty acid. Therefore, flaxseed breads should be included in the nutrition of children.
- Children should be offered a choice of whole grain products for a snack.
- The habit of looking at the contents of the packaged foods should be gained.
- Because of the molasses or other material used in the content of the bread, it should be made brown.