"Child Development 0-3"

Baby Anesthesia: These 9 tips can help

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Treatment of lip and palate
Birth story: From New Year's Eve to NICU

Mason Thomas Kover
(A boy)
Born August 9, 2007, at 2:36 p.m.
3 pounds, 9 ounces, and 16 ¼ inches
The proud parent: Kimberly Kover

I'm a single mom and I live in Pennsylvania. I was not planning on having a baby, ever. I was the person who spoiled everyone else's kids: I loved going over to my best friend's house and giving her kids soda, getting them all sugared up, and then going home. I didn't want to have to answer to anyone: If I wanted to go on vacation, I wanted to pick up and go. I didn't want to be tied down to a man, let alone a child! But Mason is the reason I get up everyday with a smile on my face! We have both been through so much already, but I can't imagine him not being a part of my life.

How it all began

My life changed on January 12, 2007. When my period is due, I always get aching in my back. But not this time – instead, I felt really tired and crampy. I got online and looked up an ovulation calendar, plugged in my days and – lo and behold – my most fertile day was December 31. Yes, there was way too much partying on New Year's Eve and the rest is now history.

Since I was leaving on a cruise on January 14, I wasn't sure if I should find out before I went or not. I came to the conclusion that I would never forgive myself if I drank and something happened if I was pregnant.

So off I went to my local Wal-Mart. My period wasn't due until January 16, when I'd be on the cruise, so I got one of the early-response tests. I came home and sat in the bathroom for what felt like hours, just staring at the box. Finally, I got the courage to open it and peed on the stick.

My best friend was on her way over, and I couldn't wait for her to tell me the results: I saw one very pink line and then a faint line, but I had no clue what it meant. My friend gave me the news: You're pregnant!

I can't explain the emotions that went through me at that time. I didn't know what to feel. I was just numb. But as I talked about it with my friend, I started to get really excited. On the cruise, I spent hours by myself on the ship's top deck just thinking about how my life was going to change. The night I got home from the cruise, I told my mom. Now I had to tell the father.

On January 22, I decided to call the father while on a business trip. I was shaking as I told him. He asked if I was sure it was his child (yes, 100 percent positive on that one) and if I was going to have an abortion, something I don't believe in.

While the father got his head around the news, I saw the doctor for all the tests I needed. The best part was hearing the baby's heartbeat at every office visit. It's the most amazing sound I have ever heard! I counted the days until the 20-week mark, when I could find out whether I was having a cheerleader or a quarterback! (I figured at least I get to go to football games no matter what.)

Then a lightning bolt hit: One of the doctors' offices called about a blood test I took that had come back positive for trisomy 18, which meant I had a 25 percent chance that my baby would be born and then die shortly after.

I went in for genetic counseling, where the counselor suggested I have an amnio. I declined, but asked for an ultrasound since there are red flags that can be seen on an ultrasound to help determine whether the baby has trisomy. One of the signs is that the baby's hands are in a fist. The second we could see the baby on the ultrasound we saw his hand spread out: He was okay.

I was convinced that everything was fine, and there was no way I was taking a chance with an amnio. We also found out after the screening that my baby was a boy. I cried. My best friend and I headed to Target and bought a ton of boy clothes. I was really excited.

At the end of May, I finally felt the baby move. I had no clue what it was at first. It was amazing. That first kick was the strangest feeling ever! It's something I have no way of explaining.

By the end of June, I hadn't heard anything from the father. On July 23, I decided to take a hot bath, since that was the only thing that helped my back pain. Afterward, I felt a gush of something between my legs. I thought I'd had an uncontrollable bladder moment and went back to the couch. Then it happened again! I called the doctor, who said I needed to make it to the hospital right away. But everything checked out fine, and they sent me home.

At my July 30 appointment, though, the technician for my monthly ultrasound appointment asked me if my water had broken because my fluid was very low: My amniotic fluid level was 3.6, when a minimum of 10 is needed. So off to the hospital I went for more tests. I was pumped full of fluids, the baby got a shot (via me) for his lungs), and I was put on bedrest – the worst thing ever!


A few days of sleep at home, along with bi-weekly checks and a second round of steroid shots for the baby's lungs, and things were looking good. My fluid levels had gone up a bit. But by August 9, Mason's heart rate was not fluctuating well and my fluid levels were down again. By 11:30 a.m., I was hooked up to every machine possible, but the baby's heart rate still wasn't ideal. At 1 p.m., my ob-gyn announced that there was a 90 percent chance I'd have the baby that day. I was trying not to freak out: Mason would be seven weeks early.

But it was really happening: The nurse came in with the catheter, then the anesthesiologist came in to talk about the spinal, then I was wheeled into the O.R. My mom came in to tell me that my aunt and uncle were there, and my best friends.

During the surgery, I felt some pulling and tugging, kind of as if someone was pulling my ribs out. Then I heard this cry! It was the sweetest sound I have ever heard! I saw Mason for just a minute before he was sent to the NICU with my mom. He was given oxygen, but he didn't really need it -- his breathing was fine.

After delivery

Down in my room, all of my friends and family came to see me. Since Mason was in the NICU, my mom had a picture of him for me to hold. When I finally got to hold him that night, I was so surprised at how tiny he was! And he looked just like me! I stayed in the hospital for a few days, so I could go see him whenever I wanted, though I only got to hold him once a day to do kangaroo care.

After a few days, Mason's IV came out, and within a week, he was out of the incubator. He came home after 19 days in the NICU and weighed 4 pounds, 5 ounces, when he was released on August 28.

Mason is getting so big every day. He's almost 4 months old and weighs close to 12 pounds and sleeps through the night, which is wonderful. His father still has made no contact with us. My little man is awesome – he smiles almost every moment that he is awake. I love him more than I ever thought I could.

The yo-yo diet, a danger to the body

More and more people are resorting to different diets - "wonder", hoping that they will be able to lose weight quickly and without much effort. Some of these diets, besides not providing the desired results, affect the body.

More and more people are resorting to different diets - "wonder", hoping that they will be able to lose weight quickly and without much effort. Some of these diets, besides not providing the desired results, affect the body.
Among such diets is the yo-yo diet, which implies the alternation of starvation periods with those of "feasting", the dissociated diet, as well as the switch to vegetarianism from the desire to get rid of extra kilos.
The cause of the yo-yo diet's inefficiency is that the human body responds to starvation by lowering metabolism. When food is again available, it is stored by the body in the form of fat. The dissociated diet involves consuming the same type of food for a period of one or more days.

The main disadvantage of this diet is that it cannot be applied for a long period of time and especially cannot be assimilated to a lifestyle, because it does not provide the body with the daily nutrients needed. The risk you assume is that after the diet cessation, there will be a weight increase.
The dissociated diet can endanger your metabolism and balance between the nutrients in the body, with serious consequences on the heart, liver, kidneys, etc.
The vegetarian diet lowers the risk for many serious conditions (cancer, stroke, cardiovascular disease, obesity, etc.), but, if not balanced, it can lead to calcium, iron, vitamin B 12 and D. deficiencies. serious effects on health, especially when it comes to children, pregnancy or lactation, menopause, intense physical activity or chronic conditions. It has been shown that the life span of a person is influenced (positively) by trivial aspects, such as maintaining a normal weight, quitting smoking, moderate or no alcohol consumption, 7-8 hours a night sleep, diversified and rationally thought out nutrition, and no lastly, physical exercise. Children and adolescents must have physical activity for at least one hour per day.
(Magda Serban)
Read the whole article in: Truth
November 17, 2006
Has your delivery been scheduled?

The discovery of sexuality is a cycle that unfolds over the ages. The psychologist Monica Poblador He tells us about the manifestations of sexuality in early childhood, that is, up to 6 years of age for boys and girls.

You can read more articles similar to Development of sexuality in early childhood, in the category of Sexuality on site.

Sex Differentiation

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos